Google’s recent update of Chrome (version 74) brought the beta feature of Android Q, the Dark Mode, into play. We at Bambeezled are major fans of the dark UI and loved the new feature integration in the app. Although Android Q offers the ability to turn on system-wide dark mode, a small preview of such a UI is delightful. Are you curious about the dark mode in Google Chrome for Android too?
Let me guide you with a step by step process on how to enable it in your android smartphone! Let’s get started.
- Open Chrome in your Android device (make sure you’ve updated it to the latest version) and enter chrome://flags in the address bar and load the page.
2. Next, type dark in the search bar of the loaded page and look for Android Chrome UI Dark Mode in the options below. Click on the dropdown and select Enable.
3. Now, you’ll get a popup asking you to relaunch Chrome. Click on the Relaunch Now button and wait for Google Chrome to relaunch.
4. Go to Settings > Dark Mode and turn the toggle On. Voila! The UI of Google Chrome in your Android device should turn to dark mode now (including the startup screen, 3-dot menu, URL bar, Settings, etc)! (Didn’t work for you? Don’t worry! Go to your phone’s Settings > Apps > Chrome and click on Force Stop, and then open the app for Google Chrome. You should see the dark UI now.)
This is how it’ll look once the dark mode is applied.
Now, this doesn’t turn the background of the content on the websites dark. If you’d like to experiment with that, follow the steps given below.
- Enter chrome://flags in the address bar and load the page.
- Next, type dark in the search bar of the loaded page and look for Android web contents dark mode in the options below. Click on the dropdown and select Enable.
- Now, you’ll get a popup asking you to relaunch Chrome. Click on the Relaunch Now button and wait for Google Chrome to relaunch.
- Voila! The website content now loads in Dark mode too!
That’s it for today! I hope you liked this tutorial on How to enable the Dark Mode in Google Chrome for Android. Do let me know your views in the comments below. Adios!